Joyner Lucas

5/12

Ever since Childish Gambino released his new song "This is America" it has become a huge sensation, with some even claiming it has made history. While I'm fairly familiar with Childish Gambino and his works, this overnight hit containing so many hidden messages about America made me think even more about the artists that try to send messages through their music. This brought up an artist one of my close friends actually just recently showed me, Joyner Lucas, and more specifically his songs "I'm Not Racist" and "Frozen' (Both YouTube videos linked here: I'm Not Racist and Frozen).  I recommend both music videos!
Many artist realize the affect their music has on their listeners lives and Gambino and Joyner Lucas are two artists I feel are using their music to bring light on the harsh realities of life. One of the most impactful songs I've ever heard is Joyner Lucas' Frozen, and I'm Not Racist is a very touching song as well but not as impactful. In both songs he is conveying messages that need to be heard in today's society, one concerning racism and one concerning driving. The one I will mainly be talking about is Frozen, the one about driving.
In the music video, he gives three different scenarios in which three different people died as the result. The first one is a little girl who died because a woman decided to text and drive, the next one being a pregnant woman who died as a result of someone's drinking and driving, and finally a man who died because of his own reckless driving. These three deaths, especially the child and the soon-to-be mother were extremely touching and hurt many people, truly making us see the severity in which these problems with driving can become. In a reaction video I watched one of the people watching the video was extremely touched by it because she had received two DUIs, truly hitting home for her and I'm sure causing her to reflect on that and make sure she doesn't do it again. Another person watching stated it was more effective than any commercial he had seen, again showing the big impact this music has on the audience.
In the end, I realize that music has such a big impact on those who listen and artists can really either use this to their advantage, like Childish Gambino and Joyner Lucas, or use it to create trash music that further pollutes our world.

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading this post and I am glad you talked about this. I have noticed this as well that there are many artists out there who have a big platform and try to give off these important messages. I wish more artists however could realize the capability they have to bring change to this world through media.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment